Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Paris and the Continental Race

I'm now in Paris, France. I know, it came as a surprise to me too!

I was sent here very last minute by my company to help with a press event for a product release. We're unveiling an integration between the product I used to develop in Victoria and the product I currently help develop in Brisbane.

More importantly, this means in the last two years I've been to every single continent except Antarctica, all on a single passport! That's not all that uncommon for some of my globe trotting friends (Mel, Steve and Sean come to mind) but as I don't travel for work very often, this is big news for me!

My List
Asia: China, UAE (Dubai).
Australia: umm.. Australia.
North America: Canada.
South America: Brazil.
Zealandia: New Zealand.
Africa: Tanzania/Zanzibar.
Europe: France.

Zealandia you ask? Did I just blow your mind? No, this is not a trick to one-up my sister by getting to a "secret" continent before her... but then again, neener neener Kim! Don't worry, the score is still 5-2 in your favour.

Turns out New Zealand is not on the same continental shelf and so is not part of the continent of Australia. It is instead part of the submerged continent Zealandia which stretches from the north of New Caledonia to the south of New Zealand's subantarctic islands.

I know, it's strange, I always thought there were seven continents but here we are adding an eighth. I feel the same as I did the day Pluto stopped being a planet! I learned something new today... then my reality imploded so I got a latte.

Tonight, I'm strolling along the Seine river with a proper latte in hand in my warm wool jacket. The air is crisp and cool without being cold and I really like wearing wool jackets. Life is good, I love Paris!


You'll have to forgive the grainy iPhone camera shots taken at night.

-- Mobile post

No comments:

Post a Comment